8 Healthy Skin Nutrients You Need Today
Posted on October 08 2014
This is the healthy skin nutrient guide. There are 8 key nutrients for skin cells that either protect or provide nutrients for each cell. Are you getting the right nutrients8 Healthy Skin Nutrients You Need Today
- Omega 3 - Omega 3 helps with the lipids in the skin. It is found in nuts, flaxseeds and fish oils. Omega 3 is considered an essential fatty acid that not only helps the skin, but the whole body. Flax and hemp have the highest amount of Omega 3.
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A is very important for the healthy growth and development of the skin. Vitamin A is the Queen of all of the healthy skin vitamins, because of it’s leadership role in the cellular health. Vitamin A helps to replenish Vitamin C, while C fortifies Vitamin E. While the cells need Vitamin A, they also need Beta Carotene, a plant form of Vitamin A. While beta carotene is an antioxidant found in nature (i.e. carrots), vitamin A does not grow as a plant. This means that you need both Vitamin A and beta carotene in the skin.
- Beta Carotene. Skin needs Beta Carotene and Vitamin A. The body converts the Beta Carotene into active Vitamin A. It helps with skin tone and texture.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C supports Vitamin A in the formation of healthy skin cells. It's responsible for collagen formation, firmness, and strength. It will work with Vitamins A and E to repair the skin tissue, damaged cells and is one of the best antioxidants for the body.
- Phosphatidylcholines. A major component of the healthy skin cells, it is also important for every cell in the body.Loss of Phosphatidylcholines play a major role in damage to the skin, especially from oxidative stress on the skin. Food sources include egg yolks, soybeans, and vegetables containing lethicin.
- Omega 6. Omega 6 essential fatty acids are very important for skin health. The ratio should be between 2:1 and 4:1 for Omega 6. Dietary sources include nuts, grains, and oils. Your skin needs the oils for dryness and premature aging.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid. Alpha Lipoic Acid is an important nutrient to the skin as it aids in keeping the skin cell healthy as it is considered a super antioxidant. It is present in most foods, but slightly more in the darker green vegetables. In the cellular structure, Alpha Lipoic Acid works in the membrane of the cells to fight off inflammation.
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E is abundant in wheat germ, safflower, and sunflower oils. Vitamin E is a team player in the skin responsible for protecting the cells from oxidative stress. As an antioxidant, it works very well in conjuction with all of the nutrients to fortify the cells and keep them healthy.
Other vitamins keep the skin healthy, but the 8 nutrients above are actually what feed and protect the skin cells. B Vitamins keep the skin from diseases, while Vitamin D keeps the skin healthy. Water is the greatest need for all cells as it will deliver the nutrients to the cells. As you strive for healthy skin, know that you need water to deliver the nutrition that you put into your body. #bellaskin #bellahealth